It’s St Patrick’s Day and naturally, you’ve thrown a party. The guests have chomped happily on Shamrock Salmon sandwiches and green soup. Now it’s time to add the cherry on top – literally!
St Patrick’s Day is a day of celebration, of remembering and championing all those things that make Ireland great… we feel a toast coming on! Your party is bound to raise a glass and toast Sláinte to St Patrick and everyone’s favourite green island. The question is – what’s in that glass? Will it be a whiskey cocktail from the Bushmills Inn in County Antrim, minty milkshake from Murphy’s in Dingle or a joyous juice from Juice Restaurant in Dublin?
We’ll leave the decision (and the drink) making up to you, but of course we have supplied the recipes…
50ml shot of Black Bush Whiskey
- 25ml dash of sweet martini
- splash of angostura bitters
- Half fill your shaker with ice and add the whiskey, Martini and splash of bitters.
- Shake well.
- Serve with a slice of orange and cocktail cherries.
In keeping with the green theme, Murphy’s Ice Cream parlour in Dingle have given us a glass of minty freshness for the kids (okay, and the grown-ups!)…
Fresh Very Minty Milkshake
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup milk
- 30 fresh mint leaves (removed from the stalk)
- Put the ice cream, mint and milk in the blender or food processor and allow it to soften for at least two minutes. Blending it straight away will leave lumps of ice cream in the shake.
- Blend until smooth, on high speed.
- Garnish with cream and a mint leaf.
- If you really like mint, add more leaves!
For the healthy revelers amongst you we’ve sourced a joyous juice from, well, Juice Vegetarian Restaurant in Dublin…
Juice’s Patrick’s Day Punch
- 1/2 cucumber
- 8oz/227g spinach
- 1 whole apple, seeded and cored
- juice of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lime
- Add ingredients into a blender and mix to a pulp.
So with all of those drink options everyone will have a drink to chink on the big day – cheers!
Don’t forget our adventurous blogger Orla will be blogging live from the St Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin City! She’ll begin at 1pm GMT on the 17th of March with photos, clips and stories from right inside the action! Bookmark the page now!
Get to know a bit more about the man you’re toasting this Saint Patrick’s Day by taking a trip round Patrick’s Trail…